Say What? Archive
What a long, strange strip it's been
Welcome to the Doonesbury Say What? Archive
September 11, 2013"Twelve years after we were attacked by al-Qaeda, twelve years after 3,000 Americans were killed by al-Qaeda, President Obama now asks us to be allies with al-Qaeda."
– Sen. Rand Paul
September 10, 2013"We have seen the threat that the Muslim Brotherhood has posed here for the people in Egypt. We have seen the threat that the Muslim Brotherhood has posed around the world. We stand against this great evil. We are not for them. We remember who caused 9/11 in America. We remember who it was that killed 3,000 brave Americans."
– Rep. Michele Bachmann, in Egypt
September 08, 2013"Let me tell you what we're doing [about Obamacare]. Everything in our power to be an obstructionist. We have passed a law that says that a navigator, which is a position in that exchange, has to be licensed by our Department of Insurance. The ObamaCare law says that we cannot require them to be an insurance agent, so we said fine, we'll just require them to be a licensed navigator. So we're going to make up the test, and basically you take the insurance agent test, you erase the name, you write 'navigator test' on it."
– Ralph Hudgens, Georgia State Insurance Commissioner
September 05, 2013"It takes one to know one, jackass...You don't get to judge me because you have shown no sign that you are superior to me and you are not my God."
– NYC mayoral candidate Anthony Weiner, during heated exchange with a constituent in a Brooklyn deli
September 04, 2013"Stronger than the smell."
– slogan proposed by Roxbury, NJ residents unhappy with landfill stench, riffing off the state's post-Sandy "Stronger than the storm" campaign
September 03, 2013"I think they are big liars."
– Syrian Deputy Foreign Minister Faisal Mekdad, on Red Crescent officials' claim that their ambulances were not allowed to go to the aid of sarin gas victims
September 02, 2013"Hello to all of you here in the studio, watching from home, or reading my prompter at the NSA. Spoiler alert, guys -- this is the next sentence."
– Stephen Colbert
August 29, 2013"They asked a long list of Republicans to come and to a man and woman they said 'no.'"
– Julian Bond on Wednesday's ceremony marking the 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
August 28, 2013"The homosexual community has put these draconian laws on the books that prohibit people from discussing this particular affliction. You can tell somebody you had a heart attack, you can tell them they've got high blood pressure, but you can't tell anybody you've got AIDS."
– Pat Robertson
August 27, 2013"If I'd had the foresight to make it one of my life's aspirations, I'd have done so. Instead it lands as dumb luck....It puts me with John Cleese, the first person to say 's***' on the BBC."
– Jonathan Lethem on supplying the first "f***" ever printed in the New York Times