Say What? Archive
What a long, strange strip it's been
Welcome to the Doonesbury Say What? Archive
April 29, 2011"There are certainly the mothers of some eligible young aristocratic women who are very disappointed, who feel their daughters have been pipped at the post."
– BBC royal correspondent Nicholas Witchell
April 28, 2011"You may be rubbed red sore in 200-year-old tight buckskin breeches that 20 men have worn before you."
– retired Duke of Edinburgh head coachman David E. Saunders, on the travails of wedding duty
April 27, 2011"Paying attention to the royal family, even if only to read sensationalist tabloid articles about them, is one of the proper jobs of English people. But for an American to be excited about the royal wedding is undignified and lame. And, I would add, if you get up at 3 a.m. on Friday to watch the wedding on television, you are a traitor to your country."
– Mark Oppenheimer
April 26, 2011"If you really love him, honey, get him out of there, and yourself, too. Many of us don't want or need another sacrifical lamb to water the dried bones and veins of a dessicated system."
– Christopher Hitchens' advice for Kate Middleton
April 25, 2011"And that's what the royal family is -- it's a huge game of pretend. These aren't special people -- it's fake outfits, fake phony hats and gowns"
– Jerry Seinfeld"He's just jealous because he doesn't have a royal family in this country."
– Piers Morgan
April 24, 2011"All his ex-wives are happy."
– Iowan Republican activist Joni Scotter, on why Trump's three marriages won't matter to social conservatives
April 23, 2011"It's a very sad thing. I have a great relationship with the blacks. I've always had a great relationship with the blacks. But unfortunately, it seems that, you know, the numbers you cite are very, very frightening numbers."
– Donald Trump on President Obama's sky-high support among African-Americans
April 22, 2011"A lot of people are saying he wasn't even born in this country."
– Donald Trump
April 21, 2011"There's something on that birth certificate that he doesn't like."
– Donald Trump
April 20, 2011"Our current president came out of nowhere. Came out of nowhere. In fact, I'll go a step further. The people that went to school with him, they never saw him; they don't know who he is. It's crazy."
– Donald Trump"Look, I didn't say that...If he was three years old or two years old or one year old and people remember him, that's irrelevant."
– Donald Trump, after CNN played him documentary clips of Hawaiians reminiscing about the schoolchild Obama