Say What? Archive
What a long, strange strip it's been
Welcome to the Doonesbury Say What? Archive
September 12, 2011"She didn't have meetings. If she was meeting with anybody it was with Vogue magazine or Vanity Fair. We were supposed to get her schedule a day in advance so we could plan who would cover what, but most days there was nothing on her schedule. It was blank."
– retired Alaskan state trooper Gary Wheeler, from The Rogue, by Joe McGinniss
September 10, 2011"People around here don't give a shit about Sarah anymore. They're burned out on all her drama."
– current Wasilla Mayor Verne Rupright, from The Rogue, by Joe McGinniss
September 09, 2011"Pick your metaphor: sacred cows, ruffled feathers, broken eggs. In total, it's an important reflection on where we are and how we got there, from inside the arena."
– Mary Matalin, former Cheney aide, on his book
September 08, 2011"You know, we used to all love Sarah Palin, conservatives like me, for her enemies. I'm starting to dislike her because of her fans."
– Ann Coulter
September 07, 2011"NOW, THEREFORE, I, RICK PERRY, Governor of Texas, under the authority vested in me by the Constitution and Statutes of the State of Texas, do hereby proclaim the three-day period from Friday, April 22, 2011 to Sunday, April 24, 2011, as Days of Prayer for Rain in the State of Texas."
– from an official proclamation. The prayers went unanswered.
September 06, 2011"I don't see the point of being a prop for another of the president's speeches asking for more failed stimulus spending and more subsidies for his pet projects."
– Rep. Joe Walsh, on not attending President Obama's address to a joint session of Congress
September 05, 2011"I'm astonished at how readily a great many people I know, young people, have accepted a reduced economic prospect and limited freedoms in any substantial sense, and basically traded them for being able to screw around online. There are just a lot of people who feel that being able to get their video or their tweet seen by somebody once in a while gets them enough ego gratification that it's okay with them to still be living with their parents in their 30s."
– virtual reality pioneer Jaron Lanier
September 02, 2011"This wasn't torture."
– Liz Cheney on waterboarding
September 01, 2011"Now correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you feel ridiculously stupid everywhere in Africa, in Europe, in South America, in Jerusalem, when you would say the words 'African American'? Now how can people be one thing in one country and nowhere else in the world?"
– Glenn Beck
August 31, 2011"Abstinence works."
– Rick Perry, when asked why his state has abstinence-only sex education despite having the third-highest teen-pregnancy rate in the U.S.