Say What? Archive
What a long, strange strip it's been
Welcome to the Doonesbury Say What? Archive
March 11, 2011"There's no question at times of my life, partially driven by how passionately I felt about this country, that I worked far too hard and things happened in my life that were not appropriate."
– Newt Gingrich, on his multiple affairs and marriages
March 10, 2011"Frankly, my toilets don't work in my house, and I blame you and people like you who want to tell me what I can install in my house...I've been waiting 20 years to talk about how bad these toilets are...I can't buy a toilet that works."
– Sen. Rand Paul complaining to Dept. of Energy's Kathleen Hogan about regulation of consumer items, at a senate committee hearing"I can help you find a toilet that works."
– Hogan"I'm sorry about your toilet."
– committee chairman Jeff Bingaman
March 09, 2011"Flying a little bigger plane than normal. You gonna launch some attacks in Libya or something?"
– General David Petraeus to Defense Secretary Robert Gates, at the airport in Kabul"Heh-heh, yeah. Exactly."
– Secretary Gates
March 08, 2011"Freedom of expression is the right of every natural person, even if a person chooses to behave irrationally to express his or her insanity."
– from Muammar Gaddafi's The Green Book
March 07, 2011"A Jewish conspiracy."
– Julian Assange, decrying "smears" from The Guardian and Private Eye magazine"Sort of Jewish."
– Assange, about the Guardian's editor, because his brother-in-law is Jewish"Forget the Jewish thing."
March 06, 2011"Brotherly Leader and Guide of the First of September Great Revolution of the Socialist People's Libyan Arab Jamahiriya."
– Gaddafi's full official title
March 04, 2011"One thing that I do know is Obama's having grown up in Kenya, his view of the Brits, for example, very different than the average American...his perspective as growing up in Kenya with a Kenyan father is very different than ours because he probably grew up hearing that the British are a bunch of imperialists who persecuted his grandfather."
– Mike Huckabee on President Obama, who first visited Kenya in the late 1980s
March 02, 2011"In my opinion, any future defense secretary who advises the president to again send a big American land army into Asia or into the Middle East or Africa should 'have his head examined,' as General MacArthur so delicately put it."
– Defense Secretary Robert Gates, speaking at West Point
March 01, 2011"I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
– Charlie Sheen
February 28, 2011"That man can explain anything. I think if we give Glenn Beck the numbers, he can solve this."
– Michele Bachmann on the country's financial woes