Say What? Archive
What a long, strange strip it's been
Welcome to the Doonesbury Say What? Archive
April 20, 2011"Our current president came out of nowhere. Came out of nowhere. In fact, I'll go a step further. The people that went to school with him, they never saw him; they don't know who he is. It's crazy."
– Donald Trump"Look, I didn't say that...If he was three years old or two years old or one year old and people remember him, that's irrelevant."
– Donald Trump, after CNN played him documentary clips of Hawaiians reminiscing about the schoolchild Obama
April 19, 2011"Now this guy either has a birth cerfitificate or he doesn't. And I didn't think this was such a big deal, but I will tell you, it's turning out to be a very big deal because people now are calling me from all over saying, please don't give up on this issue."
– Donald Trump on President Obama
April 18, 2011"I'm much bigger than this man and have a much, much bigger net worth. I mean my net worth is many, many, many times Mitt Romney."
– Donald Trump
April 17, 2011"Trump's not the kind of guy to comb over difficulties."
– Rush Limbaugh
April 15, 2011"GWU officials tells Fox that police were notified about the incident about 2pm, which happens to be at the same time that President Obama was speaking...As of this writing, Fox has not been able to obtain reaction from the White House."
– FoxNews.com story on suicide of a George Washington University student
April 14, 2011"Campaigner-in-chief...We're looking for bipartisan solutions, not partisan rhetoric."
– Rep. Paul Ryan on Obama speech"The president has announced he's running for president. Certainly there were elements of the campaign in [the speech], but I can't be critical of him. For every president that is up for reelection, politics do play a role in the things they tell the American people. It is what it is."
– Sen. John McCain
April 13, 2011"If John McCain had been elected, people would be questioning him too."
– Rep. John Campbell on "birthers"
April 12, 2011"I appreciate that the Donald wants to spend his resources in getting to the bottom of something that so interests him and many Americans... He's not just throwing stones from the sidelines, he's digging in. He's paying for researchers to find out why President Obama would have spent $2 million not to show his birth certificate, so more power to him."
– Sarah Palin, furthering the discredited "birther" controversy
April 11, 2011"Republicans are trying to pass leglslation to destroy the World Wide Web and they're also passing legislation to help destroy the Whole Wide World."
– Rep. Ed Markey
April 08, 2011"I will have no problem getting people to listen to me who don't like me. In fact, I have to keep giving them reasons. There are some people who listen precisely because they hate, precisely because they don't like. You gotta keep fueling that."
– Rush Limbaugh