Say What? Archive
What a long, strange strip it's been
Welcome to the Doonesbury Say What? Archive
February 03, 2011"I offer my apology for everything that happened yesterday because it's neither logical nor rational. What happened was wrong, a million percent wrong, whether it was deliberate or not deliberate."
– Egyptian Prime Minister Ahmed Shafiq
February 01, 2011"Sounds good, because there's a lot of chaos in Cairo, and I can't wait to not get blamed for it -- at least for a month."
– Sarah Palin, on Dana Milbank calling for a media hiatus on mentioning her until March
January 30, 2011"To try to upend Paul ryan was just wrong."
– Rep. Jason Chaffetz, R-UT, on Rep. Michele Bachmann's rebuttal to the State of the Union address"I have since learned that the timing of Congresswoman Bachmann's address was not simultaneous to Chairman Ryan's official response. Now understanding the true order of events, I would not have made the same comments to the media."
– Chaffetz, walking back his earlier comment
January 29, 2011"if members of Congress wish to carry a weapon in the federal District of Columbia, it should be permissible. Accordingly, we are in the process of drafting a bill that will allow members of Congress to do that."
– Rep. Louie Gohmert, R-Texas
January 28, 2011"All I want is one chance at returning anything that happens to me."
– Rep. Don Young, R-Alaska, on why he carries a concealed firearm
January 27, 2011"I happen to feel comfortable with it and will continue to do it."
– Rep. Jason Chaffetz, R-UT, on carrying a concealed firearm
January 26, 2011"After the elections, I let my guard down. Now I know I need to have [the gun] on me."
– Rep. Heath Shuler, D-NC
January 25, 2011"You just never know if I'm packing or not packing."
– Rep. Jean Schmidt, R-Ohio, owner of a .380 ACP Bersa semiautomatic handgun, a gift from her husband
January 24, 2011"If I had a town meeting and was still in Congress, I'd invite all the Texans who have a concealed weapons license to my town meeting and I'd advertise it. Because the person who wanted to come shoot me would have to think once again about committing suicide walking into my town hall meeting."
– Former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay
January 22, 2011"When I hear Chinese or Japanese, it sounds like all the same word. And I can't comprehend anybody understanding it."
– Rush Limbaugh