Say What? Archive
What a long, strange strip it's been
Welcome to the Doonesbury Say What? Archive
October 22, 2013"I don't feel the county should be looking for new ways to give away taxpayer money. Next it could be giving money out to people's pets or whatever."
– Tom Creighton, a PA county commissioner, explaining his opposition to benefits for same-sex couples
October 21, 2013"The only reason we went into Iraq, I tell people now, is we were looking for somebody's ass to kick. Afghanistan was too easy."
– a senior Bush official, in Days of Fire: Bush and Cheney in the White House
October 19, 2013"Management."
– how Karl Rove referred to Dick Cheney during the Bush presidency -- as in "Better check with Management."
October 18, 2013"The vast majority of people see Obama and the Democrats as unwilling to compromise...I actually think right now that it's the Democrats who are seen pushing Granny over the cliff."
– Rush Limbaugh
October 17, 2013"I want to punish these people. Sorry to say that, but that's what I want to do."
– Fox Business host Stuart Varney, on federal employees seeking back pay for time furloughed
October 16, 2013"This party is going nuts. So many people I run into who are normal people -- and I hate to use that term -- they just can't understand what's going on."
– Rep. Peter King (R-N.Y.)
October 15, 2013"It's time to tell Congress to go to hell. It's the right thing to do."
– Senior U.S. District Judge Richard Kopf
October 13, 2013"We just want to help the American people get through one of the most insidious laws created by man."
– Rep. Todd Rokita on the government shutdown
October 11, 2013"Your teenager comes to you, saying she wants to attend a dance. You have some misgivings, but you say okay because she's so passionate about the issue. Then you learn a vicious motorcycle gang may well show up at the dance, so you change your mind based upon best available evidence. And you protect your daughter from possible danger. Obamacare is like that."
– Bill O'Reilly
October 10, 2013"Just as the Fugitive Slave Act was an overreach by the federal government, so too we understand that Obamacare is an assault on the rights of individuals."
– Rep. William O'Brien