Say What? Archive
What a long, strange strip it's been
Welcome to the Doonesbury Say What? Archive
December 05, 2016"It doesn't matter to me. He won the election. The way I see the tweets you're talking about, he's basically giving voice to a lot of people who have felt that they were voiceless...Who cares what he tweeted, you know, on some Thursday night, if we fix this country's big problems?"
– House Speaker Paul Ryan on Trump's false claim that millions of people voted illegally for Hillary Clinton
December 03, 2016"We would chip away at them until they looked somewhat authentic, like actual ancient arrowheads, and then bury them in strategic spots so that we could come across them while we were running around with friends. At that point, we'd turn around and sell them for a nice profit -- around five dollars or so."
– Ivanka Trump, describing how she and her brothers would cheat their friends; from her 2009 book The Trump Card
December 02, 2016"I'm Leninist. Lenin wanted to destroy the state, and that's my goal too. I want to bring everything crashing down, and destroy all of today's establishment... National Review and The Weekly Standard are both left-wing magazines, and I want to destroy them as well. No one reads them or cares what they say."
– chief Trump strategist Steve Bannon, to a Daily Beast reporter in 2013
December 01, 2016""You are a terrific guy. You are doing amazing work which is visible in every way.... Parkistanis are one of the most intelligent people. I am ready and willing to play any role that you want me to play to address and find solutions to the outstanding problems. It will be an honor and I will personally do it...Please convey to the Pakistani people that they are amazing and all Pakistanis I have known are exceptional people."
– president-elect Trump in recent phone conversation with prime minister Nawaz Sharif, according to Pakistan-released transcript
November 30, 2016"Nobody should be allowed to burn the American flag. If they do, there must be consequences -- perhaps loss of citizenship or a year in jail."
– Donald Trump
November 29, 2016"Look, [Trump] will have an open mind about [climate change], but he has his default position which -- most of it is bunk."
– incoming chief of staff Reince Priebus
November 28, 2016"In addition to winning the Electoral College in a landslide, I won the popular vote if you deduct the millions of people who voted illegally."
– Donald Trump
November 27, 2016"A fraud."-- incoming WH chief of staff Reince Priebus on Wisconsin recount"A scam...Just a way for Jill Stein...to fill her coffers with money, most of which she will never even spend on this ridiculous effort."-- Donald Trump"This is all going into a dedicated and segregated account so that it can only be spent on the recount."-- Jill Stein"
November 25, 2016"Darkness is good. Dick Cheney, Darth Vader, Satan. That's power. It only helps us when [liberals and the media] get it wrong. When they're blind to who we are and what we're doing."
– chief Trump strategist Steve Bannon, in a post-election interview
November 24, 2016"The edge quality of 'alt' is one of its strengths, in my opinion. It connotes grunge, electronica, punk rock, youth, and vitality -- and not fuddy-duddy conservatism...It was 'Alt' -- an attempt at a new beginning...a revolt against mainstream 'conservatism,' George W. Bush, and the neocons."
– Richard B. Spencer, who coined "Alt Right" in 2008 to rebrand white supremacy, and now heads the National Policy Institute, which is "dedicated to the heritage, identity, and future of European people in the United States, and around the world."